Holidays in Taiwan 2022
Date & Time
Date(s) - 25/10/2022
Taiwan Retrocession Day is an annual observance held in Taiwan. It commemorates the end of Japanese rule over the island of Taiwan in 1945.
Taiwan became a Japanese colony after the defeat of the Qing dynasty in the First Sino-Japanese War in 1894. The island was officially ceded to the Empire of Japan by the 1895 Treaty of Shimonoseki. In May 1895, the islanders proclaimed the short-lived Republic of Formosa, which was occupied by the Japanese five months later.
Taiwan remained under Japanese rule for half a century. It ended when Japan was defeated in the Second World War. On October 25th, 1945, Japan officially returned Taiwan to the Republic of China, the successor of the Qing dynasty. When the People’s Republic of China was founded in 1949 in mainland China, the island of Taiwan remained the only territory controlled by the Republic of China.
October 25th is celebrated in Taiwan as Retrocession Day. Although it is not an official public holiday, many civilian organizations and individuals still hold memorial activities on the occasion.
⬅ Go Back
Related Upcoming Events
- Chinese New Year Holiday - 31/01/2022 - 05/02/2022 - All Day
- Farmer’s Day - 04/02/2022 - All Day
- Valentine's Day - 14/02/2022 - All Day
- Lantern Festival - 15/02/2022 - All Day
- International Women’s Day - 08/03/2022 - All Day
- Arbor Day - 12/03/2022 - All Day
- Labor Day - 01/04/2022 - 02/04/2022 - All Day
- Children’s Day - 04/04/2022 - All Day
- Easter Sunday - 17/04/2022 - All Day
- Mother's Day - 08/05/2022 - All Day
- Dragon Boat Festival - 03/06/2022 - All Day
- Chinese Valentine's Day - 04/08/2022 - All Day
- Father's Day - 08/08/2022 - All Day
- Ghost Festival - 12/08/2022 - All Day
- Armed Forces Day - 03/09/2022 - All Day
- Mid-Autumn Festival - 09/09/2022 - 10/09/2022 - All Day
- Teachers Day - 28/09/2022 - All Day
- Double Ninth Day - 04/10/2022 - All Day
- Taiwan National Day - 10/10/2022 - All Day
- Taiwan’s Retrocession Day - 25/10/2022 - All Day