Holidays in Taiwan 2022
Date & Time
Date(s) - 08/03/2022
International Women’s Day in Taiwan – March 8. It was originally called International Working Women’s Day.
It is a focal point in the movement for woman’s rights that celebrates the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women all around the world.
International Women’s Day originated from labor movements in North America and Europe during the early 20th century.
The earliest version was purportedly a “Women’s Day” organized by the Socialist Party of America in New York City on February 28, 1909.
🗓️ International Women’s Day is just observed, however, some companies in Taiwan are said to allow women to take at least half a day off to honor this day. Therefore, it’s worth checking out what your company is doing for it.
Taiwan Rally Together to March for Women’s Rights
International Women’s Day (IWD) is supported by several organizations in Taipei that gear up to host events to help women share their It allows all of us to reflect on the importance of learning from and connecting with others so that women can feel more empowered to make better decisions that will reflect positive changes in their lives.
IWD events in Taipei will focus on women’s issues that require change, while also highlighting perceptions about gender equality in Taiwan. Women from a diverse range of backgrounds all over Taiwan and from all corners of the world will be sharing their experiences at work, at home, and in their day-to-day lives.
Historically, women in Taiwan have been hesitant to speak out about their experiences; however, change has happened slowly but surely over the last five years. As worldwide recognition of International Women’s Day grows bigger each year, events have become more professionally executed and defined, with expert speakers addressing a number of issues that women face, whether it’s in business, health, equal pay rights, or domestic violence.
Educating and involving women in all aspects of life is too important to be ignored, but how can we make our voices heard? How can we encourage each other to speak up?
Sue Babcock, the founder and one of the organizers of Taipei’s Women in Conversation events, encourages women to reach out to each other and share their experiences. “Sharing stories and experiences is essential for empowering women; especially stories about women doing extraordinary things under adverse conditions. When you hear their inspiring stories, it pushes you to be motivated and to keep trying to make a difference.”
Crystal Liu, the co-founder of Women’s March Taiwan, saw a need to create a grassroots community organization in Taiwan in response to other worldwide March women’s events.
Liu says that “Many people in Taiwan don’t think that gender inequality still exists here. They might think that since we already have a female president, why should we continue to support women’s rights?”
Women’s March Taiwan was launched on March 8th, 2017 in response to a worldwide outpouring of support for women’s rights and the rights of freedom and justice for all people.
★ For more information, you can check out the official website for Woman’s Day: internationalwomensday.com.
⬅ Go Back
Related Upcoming Events
- Taipei Pub-Crawl ~ FREE MTV Afterparty - 02/07/2022 - 6:00 PM - 11:45 PM
- Ghost Month 2022 - 29/07/2022 - 26/08/2022 - All Day
- Chinese Valentine's Day - 04/08/2022 - All Day
- Father's Day - 08/08/2022 - All Day
- Ghost Festival - 12/08/2022 - All Day
- Armed Forces Day - 03/09/2022 - All Day
- Mid-Autumn Festival - 09/09/2022 - 10/09/2022 - All Day
- Teachers Day - 28/09/2022 - All Day
- Double Ninth Day - 04/10/2022 - All Day
- Taiwan National Day - 10/10/2022 - All Day
- Taiwan’s Retrocession Day - 25/10/2022 - All Day
- Taiwan LGBT Pride Day - 29/10/2022 - All Day
- Halloween - 31/10/2022 - All Day
- Saisiat Festival - 08/11/2022 - All Day
- Sun Yat-sen’s Birthday - 12/11/2022 - All Day
- Thanksgiving - 24/11/2022 - All Day
- Dōngzhì Festival - 22/12/2022 - All Day
- Christmas Day - 25/12/2022 - All Day
- Constitution Day - 25/12/2022 - All Day
- New Year’s Eve of 2023 - 31/12/2022 - All Day